Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Olden Camera in NYC

  1. #1
    Inactive Member becomedeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good evening gentlemen,

    I usually read more than I write on this forum but I've discovered something and I feel responsible to let the rest of you know. I live in New York City, in the east village of Manhattan to be exact. Nice area, right near Tompkins Square Park which is lovely and great for chess...if you play. Anyway, I was walking down 6th avenue yesterday after paying my rent and discovered a little place called "Olden Camera." Normally I would ignore it and keep walking, but the display, along with old still cameras, contained a lovely super 8 camera. So, I went in, or up to be exact, it was on the second floor. Anyway, this place is awesome. They must have had two or three dozen beautiful cameras - all behind glass and look to be in perfect-working condition. They also had about a dozen super 8 projectors that looked to be in equal shape. I was in love. They had an awesome looking ELMO camera and an equally awesome Minolta. I didn't even know Minolta made super 8 cameras, but it looked amazing. The cameras were of varying prices but nothing was over $600 and one of the sales fellows, "Krest," was very helpful and said that any price could be haggled. The projectors also ranged in price. There were ones there for $1200, but I'm sure that they are worth it. If I wasn't saving everything I can to get my Beaulieu crystal-synched I would be there now. I don't know, its an awesome shop with very helpful employees. If you ever visit the city, or if you live here...well, if you live here we'll have to get in touch....I suggest you stop by Olden Camera at 1265 Broadway at 32nd Street telephone (212) 725-1234 fax (212) 725 1325

    Thanks,
    Tayman Strahorn

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dsavetsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thumbs up

    P.S. ....and you'll pay top dollar too.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sounds like an Olden plant. everytime i called Olden they would not give me the information i wanted. only the price. i never did buy anything from them, and i never will. too bad, sounds like a super 8 dream.....

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dgs8film's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought a Eumig 824 projector from Olden back in the '80s for around $85.00. Guess they finally realized how much they could get for Super 8 stuff......
    (PS: I still have that 824 and it still works!!!)

  5. #5
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    becomedeath,
    You have your eye on a Beaulieu crystal sync? Any particular model or are you waiting til you have enough cash to start looking?
    I ask because I have one. 5008 modified by The Film Group.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member becomedeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have the 4008 ZM4. I am saving money to get it crystal synched at the Film Group. Its the only place that I now that does it and I've only heard good things about their work. I'm pretty excited.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    make sure your camera is running properly. have someone check the speed. it needs to run at 24 fps. i had crystal added to my camera only to find out after that it needed service. the modification for your camera can add problems when servicing. the film group does a top notch job, they are great!

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 13, 2002 03:07 PM: Message edited by: rollemfilm ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member becomedeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does the Film Group service a camera before it synchs it? Or, would I have to tell them to check it over before they do it? I would assume that they'd do some type of standard diagnostics test before they jumped into it.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Alan Rik's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2002
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have known about Olden for at least 5 years now. Everything they have is overpriced. Old GAF cameras that they are selling for $295!
    Nizo's selling for $1600!
    I once purchased a new Elmo 1200 ft Reel that had a price on it for $9.95. I had my money out and the man said oh- I think its actually $21.95. This thing had dust on it! I paid it because I wanted it but it was so low class.
    I recently saw an Elmo ST1200HD on sale there for $898. I asked them if it was thoroughly checked out. He replied that he was pretty sure it was working last he checked, but they don't test all the functions.
    I have seen many of the same items still in the shop from years ago- they are way overpriced and to top it off very unknowledgable.
    It is like a museum there. Too expensive with everything behind glass. Spare yourself and I would stay away from there.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Jerome Cain's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I used live in that area. That place you went to real overprice that I would not buy for my minolta that i got for only 100 dollars as i got two of them and sanyo projector that cost me 160 dollars which is 250 dollars. That place you went is unworth... as you said beaulieu go for it. forget abut that place. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •